Hi and happy Friday!
Today we’ve got some Bode-esque vintage and some personal news. Before we dive in to vintage, my very huge news is that after five years in New York, I’ll be moving back to Kentucky at the beginning of April. I’m originally from Louisville and after weathering a pandemic and adjusting some priorities, I’m heading back to be with family and…drumroll please…open my own vintage store! I have no timeline on the latter but if you want to follow along as I set up shop, my Instagram is here. To any and all Kentuckians, get ready for some 90s minimalist coolness to hit your towns!
Because New York is cool as hell and it’s a cheap 1.5 hour direct flight from Louisville, I’ll be back as often as I can. I’ll still maintain a presence at Club Vintage so I’ll still have some irons in the fire here, too! BUT if you want to shop RGV before I leave, I have two pop-ups in the coming weeks:
Manhattan: Saturday, March 11 at Club Vintage
Brooklyn: Saturday, March 18 & Sunday, March 19 at St. Hrouda
Come visit and shop! I’ll have SO much vintage you’ve never seen and all the usual suspects: silks, sets, and sexy dresses in sizes XS-2XL.
Thank you for reading and now back to Bode!
The day has come, after much anticipation, for round two of a Bode-inspired edit! You all really loved the first one so I took another look and rounded up nearly forty more options to shop! This list is so not comprehensive. I had to whittle my list down from some 200 items this time, so we’ll see if a third installment is in the cards. The beauty of a brand like Bode is that it pulls so directly from history, that it’s easy to mimic the look with the same vintage history the brand uses! Here are some recent Bode looks in case you’re new to the brand and then below is a collage to end all collages.
1. Red velvet moire blazer, $45. Ok I love a silk or taffeta moire, but this is velvet people! This is so luxe and rich and you’ll look like the fanciest piece of wood this town’s ever seen!
2. Southwest knit long polo, $31. This is a realllly thin knit so not only is the print special, but the textile is, too. Would look v cool with #1.
3. Blue & white embroidered pants, $95. I mean are these Bode, or are these Bode?
4. Embroidered lures vest, $16. Wear with #6.
5. Navy soutache jacket, $98. Soutache, baby! Featured heavily in her recent Paris show.
6. Marc Jacobs striped velvet pants, $55. The colors! The velvet! The rock vibe that would work with any jacket in this collage!
7. Red quilted pants, $28. Click the link to see how good these quilted pants are.
8. Anne Klein scarf overlay coat, $140. A little more avant garde but there’s something about the haphazardness of the scarf that fits with the lived-in feel of Bode.
9. Rosetta Getty crochet skirt, $129. Any and all granny square pieces are welcome in Bode-land. This one just happens to have an excellent color palette.
10. Brocade pajama jumpsuit set, $122. So 20s! Love that this is a jumpsuit!
11. See by Chloé turtleneck, $72. Great lace, great cut. Would look cute layered over #12.
12. Brown chainstitch western shirt, $62. The curls of the stitching! So whimsical.
13. Denim sailor pants, $33. I shared some 40s wool ones in the last newsletter, but denim feels much more wearable with spring on the horizon.
14. Studded western jacket, $98. Kind of Isabel-Marant-meets-Bode which is a very effective combo.
15. Black fringe top, $60. I have one of these and please buy this with this disclaimer: you will shimmy a LOT.
16. Cream crochet button down, $32. Great with jeans or over a bathing suit! This one would be a really fun one to play around with.
17. Metallic gold blouse, $38. Love that this is a muted gold so would (and should) be worn in daytime hours comfortably.
18. Tromp l’oeil scarf sweater, $28. Love a little kitsch!
19. Hand-knit semi sheer tank, $30. This one feels more Dôen-meets-Bode and it’s yet another winning marriage!
20. Rainbow striped taffeta skirt, $43. I mean. She’s perfect. Have a wedding coming up? Want to be the most stylish guest?
21. Mixed print woven coat, $75. Great colors.
22. Maroon gingham pants, $40. Picnic-ready! So cute with a white tank and #30.
23. Asymmetric lace overlay blouse, $34. So chic. So romantic. Needs Italian coast, stat.
24. Patchwork suede cape, $70. A classic! The colors are amazing.
25. Brown equestrian pants, $36. Ability to ride horses not a prereq. Cute with #25 & #29.
26. Checkered button down, $70. So Bode, right?
27. Stained glass fuzzy coat, $80. Stained glass feels like a good source of inspiration for Bode. Someone get Emily on the horn!
28. Cream fringe jacket, $34. More fringe! This time open-front and cream. Incredible as a bridal look??
29. Buffalo cowichan sweater, $180. Cowichans are easy to find, but I love this buffalo motif best! Other motifs are horses, football, fishing, pheasants. You get the idea.
30. White lace cut-out button down, $55. Click link to see the great detailing of this one!
31. Rust chain print blazer, $85. Also click this link! The dark stripe is a chain print which is so cool.
32. Fox hunt sweater, $30. Novelty sweaters and upper echelon hobbies!
33. Fiery patchwork leather jacket, $75. A deal and a larger size!
34. Rust patch pants, $52. Patchwork definitely fits the Bode bill, but I’m more drawn to patches, and these pants are it. Great with every top in the collage except #18.
35. Seafoam embroidered people pants, $100. Click link! The people are precious.
36. Gold foil coat, $60. Love that Bode got into gold recently because it’s such a fun punch of sheen and showiness that plays off the well-worn aesthetic well.
37. Ornate tapestry blazer, $33. So. cool.
38. UK wildcats sweater, $75. The best way to wrap up the list! A vintage university sweater (very Bode) from my alma mater and soon-to-be home state (again).
Thanks as always for being here and I hope to see you at either pop-up this month! xx Maggie
I'm slowly but surely working my way through all your posts. #27 here is amazing! I live in the PNW or the land of layers, and I have a definite weakness for coats, especially an eye catching one like that one.
I can't believe you haven't been picked up for syndication - these newsletters are fabulous! Someone is missing the boat - just sayin'.