Hello and happy Friday!
Here we have, laid out in all its glory, a banquet in the form of a 35-piece ‘Things I Like.’ It has all the hits you’ve come to expect from RGV: everyday trousers, a silk shirtdress, the color taupe, pops of color and every texture imaginable (fleece, angora, mohair, silk, leather, lamé, fringe, feather…chenille)! A veritable smorgasbord of tactile delights.
If you’re new to these parts, I shared how I shop all of these sites here so you know how best to navigate and purchase. And for my New York-based followers, I’m having a pop-up at Club Vintage on Saturday. March 11! Come by and shop my curation: all will be reasonably priced and with a big range of sizes!
1. Taupe Matisse print sarong dress, $45. I’ll give $50 in store credit to anyone who buys this dress and takes a picture wearing it with an actual Matisse.
2. Black trousers w/ belt, $36. Classic and hard to beat! The little dip in the back is the kind of small detail that makes vintage superior.
3. Rainbow yarn checkered bag, $30. I have a very soft spot for things like this. I went to Catholic school and for a few years we made Easter baskets just like this - using the plastic grid for easy yarn sewing. I never made anything as fabulous as this ever (all four sides are different patterns!) but I enjoyed the process every time. Note that the handle is ribbon and the seams are made of yarn, so this can’t do any heavy lifting, but what it does carry it carries exceedingly well.
4. Horse fleece jacket, $46. Feels like this could easily walk the runway for the 2001 Chloe S/S 2001 show.
5. Grey tie-neck sweater, $22. Like a walking @simplicitycity post!
6. Stunning grey & orange plaid coat, $45. I can’t believe the price on this! It’s so modern and in perfect condition and has an odd but alluring color combination. Worth buying this now to store until fall.
7. Morgane Le Fay silk wrap waist dress, $64. You’re already seeing your IG feeds morph into an ad for Italian vacations, yes? Maybe you have a trip planned or maybe you’re sticking close to home. Regardless, you can at least wear the insouciant sensuality of that beautiful country with this silk sarong dress. Just add espadrilles and oversized cat eye sunglasses.
8. Silk beaded turtleneck, $15. Such a deal! Subtle shimmery silk with shiny subtle beads. Would be really great with #33.
9. Dark khaki silk shirt dress, $75. I mean…
10. Adolfo angora skirt set, $89. Like Chanel but affordable and from one of the greats in fashion history! Adolfo is super collectible and this set is especially wearable. Love the bold red color and soft angora fabric. And while I would wear the set separately, you could get some really fab Blair Waldorf vibes if worn together (I would eschew a headband for modernity’s sake).
11. Black side-tie blazer, $30. Chic! I would wear with just some 90s bootcut jeans and loafers.
12. Byblos dove grey circle skirt, $62. The movement! This reads very ballet to me in such a romantic way! Thus, I would pair with a bodysuit and some suede boots to appropriately pirouette through my day.
13. Flower & fruit silk camp shirt, $19. So fun!
14. B&W striped knit shorts, $13. Not to try and sway you but…this also has pockets. Would wear with a white oversized oxfords and you guessed it! Loafers!
15. Gold mega flower disco dress, $25. I almost didn’t share this one because I just wanted to look at it longer, but it is so. insanely. fabulous. The whole point of this dress is the oversized flowers and I just can’t! They’re show-stoppers and I want this to be bought, worn, and delighted (and danced) in!
16. Sequin double thigh slit dress, $45. Oof. Another incredible black & gold dress, this one more chic than bold. The sequin slits are stunning, and I would add just the smallest shoulder pads to really give this gal oomph. If only this were in my size…
17. Cropped cream mohair blazer, $25. Add white tee, will travel!
18. Corduroy dalmatian shirt, $30. I love a dalmatian print because it’s got visual interest but it’s abstract and minimal enough to pair with nearly anything.
19. Red tassel skirt, $30. You know I’m a sucker for fringe and this reads very Prada-esque to me.
20. Plaid Copines sarong dress, $50. Cool and casual.
21. Silver satin triangle purse, $35. This is larger than you think! Great shape and heft.
22. Shiny caramel leather shacket, $28. Great color and sheen and price!
23. Polo knit minidress, $30. A little cutie! I would wear without the belt, but you do you.
24. Abstract angora sweater, $60. A thousand times, yes. Great tucked into #2.
25. Snake & tortoise link bag, $40. The links! The size! My partner Duncan saw this and said, “That is so cool.” So it has our household’s stamp of approval.
26. RL black angora tank dress, $55. Don’t love a silk slip dress? Can I interest you in an angora one? Love the super thin straps and the below-the-knee length. Some Carolyn Bessette vibes if you add low slingbacks and a long, flowy trench.
27. Grey mohair Celine skirt, $80. A classic and a deal for Celine.
28. Red floral shirt dress, $44. Very 90s-does-40s. This feels like one of those dresses you put on when you’re feeling your best. You’re brimming with confidence and you hit the sidewalk with the sun shining in your face and no one can touch you and everyone you meet that day glows because you’re glowing.
29. Descending button silk shirt, $22. As I’ve discussed before, I love a blouse with a small twist. Definitely a shirt to be tucked so the last button hits your waistband!
30. Black fishnet tank dress, $20. Someone could have a lot of fun styling this.
31. Silk cross-neck blouse, $50. Ever since I saw this top in When Harry Met Sally, I’ve been enamored of this kind of cross-neck/faux-wrap top. This one is too small on me so here’s your chance to be stylish with a hint of cool…on the side.
32. Red silk striped dress, $13. Another Italian vacation dress for less than the price of a sandwich!
33. Tan lightweight trousers, $20. A forever closet hero.
34. Feather-trim skirt, $55. Who doesn’t love a feather?
35. Cranberry chenille striped sweater vest, $40. A peach of a sweater in a great fabric with the best shoulders in the biz.
That’s it for this week! A glimpse into the next: Tuesday’s paid subscriber newsletter will feature F/W ‘23 looks rendered in vintage and Friday will be a second round of Bode-inspired finds! Subscribe here to follow along!
A great collection, and spot-on commentary as always!